At Pet.co.nz we understand this can be a stressful time and so we have put together some frequently asked questions in the hope to answer some of the questions we are receiving from concerned pet parents.
Should you have any additional concerns about the COVID-19 specifically we suggest you call: NZ COVID-19 Health Advice Line: 0800 358 5453
Can my pet be infected with the COVID-19 virus?
Currently, there is limited evidence that companion animals can get infected with COVID-19 and no evidence they can pass it to humans.
As a precaution, if you have contracted COVID-19, try to have your pet cared for by another member of your household and avoid kissing and snuggling with your pet and don’t share food. Until more information is known, avoid contact with unfamiliar animals and always practice good hygiene washing hands before and after the interaction.
If you have further questions, please reference the latest Government news
Or we encourage you to visit the links below:
What can I do to best protect myself and my pet?
The World Health Organisation (WHO) website is an excellent resource with regards to general hygiene advice and recommendations, which we have summarised below:
- Frequently and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer or soap and water
- When coughing and sneezing cover your mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue – throw the tissue away immediately and wash your hands
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- Avoid close contact for you and your pet with anyone who has a fever or cough
- Avoid greetings that include physical contact e.g. handshakes, high-fives
- If you are unwell, remain at home and follow the guidelines provided by the WHO
Has the supply of pet products been impacted?
We are continuously working with all supply partners to ensure we keep our shelves stocked with essential items for all pets. Despite increased demand on some items we are working hard to ensure we have stock available at all times.
What is Pet.co.nz doing to support its team members and customers during COVID-19?
Pet.co.nz is fully committed to supporting the health and safety of all team members. We are continuing to monitor government health recommendations and requirements. During periods of lockdown our customer care team works from home.